Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Stuff sucks

Or if not...I am pretty darn close to one....

My recent trip to Europe really helped me gain a bit of perspective on my life and the "stuff" in it....not once did I really *want* while in Europe living out of a small yet roomy backpack for months...having everything I owned within an arms reach was reassuring to me.

It made me think back on my life, the places I lived and the things I had done...but let's back it up even a bit further....

By the way: I am not going to be "preachy here" nor do I expect to come across as a "perfect" saint or whatever...

I HATED getting Christmas presents or birthday presents...absolutely hated it....I remember one year my parents got me a TV for Christmas...and while I wasn't unthankful for the gesture I really didn't want one...I would have preferred my parents spend that money on themselves or even just got me a card...I'd honestly be just fine with it.

When I moved into my first place in Winnipeg I owned just about nothing..and never even got around to really buying anything...I had a mattress on the floor...and an ugly hand me down couch....I think two plates and some forks...after about a year I eventually got evicted from the place for an incident I won't go into here....and simply walked away...

Eventually I moved to another place down on Broadway...again..as memory recollects there was a tiny kitchen table 2ft by 2ft..a computer desk..and a huge vacant loft style place....no actual living room furniture....

When I moved to Brandon I brought a single mattress and a pile of clothes to live off of....what I really remember is having two lawn chairs in the living room of my place..and a mattress in the bedroom down the hall...I did have my gifted TV at this location though.

When I moved back to Winnipeg I moved into Place Promenade...and to paraphrase my beautiful fiancee the first time she saw my place..."I thought a homeless guy lived there"...all I remember owning was a mattress on the floor...and a stuffed chair I found beside a dumpster...I once threw a party and had to buy some card tables and chairs for my guests.....

Though we've never noticed it the fiancee was also the one who purchased everything we own...our tables...the bed....the couch...the chairs....the dresser....her desk....

I do own a computer desk that is solidly mine...and (as mentioned previously) am seriously contemplating reducing the entire thing to a small portable laptop...

Not sure on the point in this thread...but I know that stuff makes me feel bad and I think that "stuff" is one of the major contributors to stress in our modern lifes and would suggest that everyone try to limit it as much as possible.

ps: Along the same notes....damn I want an e-reader of some kind...hmmmmm maybe Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment